Graduate / PhD
Admission to the graduate programs in pharmaceutical sciences are handled through the University of Connecticut Graduate School. Students are typically admitted as candidates for the Ph.D. in Pharmaceutical Sciences and concentrate in one of the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences‘ disciplines – pharmacology & toxicology, pharmaceutics, and medicinal chemistry. All students applying to the graduate school, must complete and submit an application to the University of Connecticut Graduate School, not directly to the School of Pharmacy or the department. Current information and application instructions may be found on the graduate school website.
Questions regarding the status of your application should be addressed directly to the University of Connecticut Graduate School. Contact the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences for questions regarding the program.
Graduate Program Coordinator
School of Pharmacy, Room 636
69 North Eagleville Road, Unit 3092
Storrs, Connecticut 06269-3092
Telephone: (860) 486-4066
Facsimile: (860) 486-6857
For full consideration, applicants should submit required materials to the graduate school by February 1. Applications received after February 1 will be considered on a rolling basis.
Selected candidates will be invited for an on-campus interview. Interviews allow applicants the opportunity to evaluate faculty research and decide if his or her research interests are a good fit. Candidates may also be invited to attend the Pharmaceutical Sciences Research Symposium in early spring for a chance to learn more about departmental research and facilities, and to visit with current and future graduate students.
The following information is for prospective students wishing to obtain a Ph.D. in medicinal chemistry, pharmacology/toxicology, or pharmaceutics.
All students applying to the graduate school, must complete and submit an application to the University of Connecticut Graduate School, not directly to the School of Pharmacy or the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences.
Complete all sections of the graduate school application as indicated. An application checklist for the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences may be downloaded for your convenience.
- Personal Information – Complete the required fields.
- Enrollment Information – Complete the required fields. You may indicate your preferred research program and/or faculty members.
- Test Scores – Input your GRE and TOEFL scores (if applicable) into the form.
*You also are required to send your official scores to the University of Connecticut at code 3915.
- Citizenship Information – Complete the required fields.
- Educational Institutions – Complete the required fields.
*You are also required to send your official transcript as described. International students may also be required to send a copy of the diploma.
- Employment Experiences – Enter prior employment, if applicable.
- Upload All Documents – Please upload: A) a resume or CV; B) a completed residence affidavit; and C) a personal statement. The personal statement should be limited to two (2) pages and should describe your research interests, your reasons for pursuing a graduate degree, and your desire to attend the pharmaceutical sciences program at the University of Connecticut. An additional writing sample/research essay is not required.
- Graduate Supplemental – Complete the required fields.
- Recommendations – Three letters of recommendation are required.
Apply to the Graduate School
Apply directly to the Graduate School.
Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences Pre-Application
Interested students may fill out a pre-application with the Department of Pharmaceutical Sciences to introduce themselves to individual faculty members. All students must apply to UConn Graduate School.
Bridge to the Doctorate Fellowship
For those students who are finishing undergraduate degrees at LSAMP (Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation) Institutions you may qualify for a Bridge to the Doctorate Fellowship; The application form is found here: http://www.lsamp.uconn.edu/