Frequently Asked Questions

The Pharm.D. Professional Program is an upper division program. What does upper division mean?

The term upper divison refers to the college years beyond the pre-pharmacy course work that must be completed prior to beginning the pharmacy curriculum.  Students are not directly enrolled into the Pharm.D. Program as freshmen.  Instead, they typically enroll as pre-pharmacy students through the Academic Center for Exploratory Students (ACES) and complete their pre-pharmacy coursework (lower division) through the College of Liberal Arts and Sciences.  Academic advisors in ACES are instrumental in helping pre-pharmacy students navigate through the pre-pharmacy requirements.

What is a Pharm.D. Degree?

A Pharm.D. Degree is neither an undergraduate degree nor a graduate degree, but rather is a professional degree.  It is the only degree that will allow the graduate to sit for the licensing exam to become a licensed, practicing pharmacist.  Regardless of the level of a student’s prior education, the student enrolls into the Pharm.D. Professional Program as an undergraduate student.

Do you accept AP credit?

AP credit will transfer into UCONN if a score of 4 or 5 was received on the exam. However, our Program strongly recommend’s that students DO NOT use their AP credits towards their math and science prerequisite course work.  Students are often better prepared for the Pharm.D. curriculum when they take their math and science prerequisite courses in college.

Does the UConn School of Pharmacy participate with PharmCAS?

Yes. For further details, visit the PharmCAS website.

To be considered a competitive applicant, what is the suggested minimum for GPA requirement and PCAT score?

Although there is not a set minimum GPA requirement, it is highly recommended that applicants have at least a 3.0 GPA in the math and science prerequisites and have a composite score at the 60th percentile, or higher, on the PCAT in order to be considered competitive.

What is the PCAT?

The PCAT is a Pharmacy College Admission Test.  It is a standardized test that helps to identify qualified applicants by measuring general academic ability and scientific knowledge with an emphasis on verbal skills, biology, reading comprehension, quantitative ability, chemistry, and writing skills.  Private courses / test prep guides are available.

What are my options if I am not enrolled as a pharmacy student?

Students who do not become enrolled in the Pharm.D. Program might choose to change their major. The prerequisites that they have taken for the School of Pharmacy meet many of the requirements for other programs at the University of Connecticut as well as general education requirements necessary for obtaining a bachelor’s degree.  Advisors will work with the student to help facilitate this degree transition.  Students might choose to re-apply the following year.  If this be the case, it is recommended that the student declare a degree track other than pre-pharmacy and work toward meeting that program’s requirements.  Keep in mind that at the end of 4 years, the ultimate goal is to obtain a bachelor’s degree.  Other students might choose to transfer out of UConn. For information on other Schools of Pharmacy, please log onto the American Association of Colleges of Pharmacy website.

Can non-pharmacy students take pharmacy courses?

No. Students must be enrolled in the School of Pharmacy to take pharmacy courses.

Does the School of Pharmacy offer summer / winter session courses?


Can my previous college work be ignored so that I can start over as a freshman?

No. All previous colleges that have been attended must be reported and official transcripts submitted. All previous grades and courses will be considered.

I am a transfer student. How do I apply?

You must submit separate applications and apply to BOTH UConn and the School of Pharmacy. and January 6th is the PharmCAS application deadline for the Pharm.D. program and February 1 is the application deadline for UCONN.

I am currently enrolled at another college or university. How will my courses transfer to UConn?

Students enrolled at colleges other than the University of Connecticut will have their transcripts evaluated by Transfer Admissions after they have been admitted to the university and have confirmed their intention to enroll.  If you are enrolled at a Connecticut college or university, you can use the Transfer Equivalencies tool to see how your course will transfer to UConn.  Read Transfer Admissions FAQ’s for more information on transfer of courses.

Do I have to be a full-time student?

The Pharm.D. Professional Program is a 4-year, full-time program.  Enrolled students must expect three years of full-time, didactic coursework to be completed on the Storrs Campus of the University of Connecticut.  The fourth year consists of 9, one-month rotations.

I already have a degree. Can the program be completed at a faster pace or can any of the program requirements be waived?

We do not offer non-traditional or accelerated programs, nor are program requirements waived, to shorten the duration of the program.  All students admitted in a given year, regardless of prior education, begin their classroom experience at the same time and move through the program as a cohort.

I’m an international student with a Bachelor’s Degree in Pharmacy. Can I come to UConn to get my Pharm.D.?

No. Unfortunately, the School of Pharmacy at UConn does not offer a program that would be appropriate.  You may wish to consider post-baccalaureate pharmacy degree or non-traditional Pharm.D. programs.  A list of colleges and schools that offer these types of programs may be found on

Is there any financial assistance offered to pharmacy students?

Once enrolled, pharmacy students are eligible to apply for scholarships through the school.  In 2017-2018, $181,700 was given to pharmacy students (including transfers) through various scholarships that ranged from $500 to $10,000.  Outside of these scholarships, traditional financial aid through the University of Connecticut is available in the form of grants and loans.

Why is the tuition so much higher in the 3rd and 4th professional years? (5th and 6th years)

The added expense is in support of the clinical rotation portion of the program (e.g. finances, hospital contracts, preceptor fees, liability insurance, etc.)  Instead of having the full added payment in the fourth professional year, it is divided between the last two years to make it more manageable.

Do you participate in the New England Regional Program?

Once enrolled in the School of Pharmacy, if the student is a resident of Maine, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, or Vermont, they can participate in the New England Regional Program.   (FYI – New England Regional tuition equals instate tuition + 175%.)