Pathways to Academic Assistance – BS, Pharm.D., MS and Ph.D.

We want you succeed!  Resources are plentiful. Your faculty, advisors, and other advocates can help you determine which tool is in your best interest.

We are here to help! Please reach out to one of the many offices listed and the staff and faculty will try their best to provide support and identify solutions. Questions about this information should be directed to, Associate Dean of Admissions and Student Affairs; and in the School of Pharmacy, Dr. Nate Rickles at, or Susan Corbin at

If you are a graduate student please email:

Tools you may want to consider

  • Talking with your professor during office hours to try and resolve concerns
  • Requesting extensions for individual assignments
  • Rescheduling a final exam. For undergraduates, the process begins on March 1, 2021. Graduate students can talk to their faculty anytime.
  • Putting a course on Pass/Fail (undergraduates)
  • Converting a course to an Audit · Withdrawing (dropping) an individual course
  • Requesting an Incomplete · Requesting accommodations through CSD
  • Withdrawing from the semester - Undergraduates should contact Dean of Students. Graduate students should contact The Graduate School.

Academic or Faculty Advisor

A student’s major advisor is a resource in navigating academic challenges. Some academic departments also have program staff that can help you determine next steps academically and connect you to resources. If you are a graduate student, make sure you discuss all possible options with your major advisor. If you aren’t sure who your advisor is, you can find this information in StudentAdmin.

Academic Support Services

Graduate and undergraduate students can seek academic support from the Writing Center and the Academic Achievement Center. The Writing Center provides online writing assistance to both undergraduate and graduate students. An overview of support for graduate students is available at this link; undergraduates can view this link to learn about available services. The Academic Achievement Center (AAC) offers an array of academic support services, including coaching, mentoring, and student success workshops. Although many of the offerings are geared toward undergraduate students, graduate students can contact the AAC directly to discuss specific support needs and will be referred to available resources. Undergraduate students may seek support from the Q-Center for classes that have a quantitative component. Specifically, the Q-Center provides direct assistance to students via peer tutoring, review sessions, and the creation of innovative learning tools.

Pharmacy students can get help via the SEA program at the School of Pharmacy. The Student Educational Assistance (SEA) program provides additional resources to enrich the learning experience for the school of pharmacy student body. Access the program through the HuskyCT website under “Pharmacy Academic Resources” organization page. The content can be viewed by any student or faculty member in the School of Pharmacy. SEA also offers review sessions and 1-on-1 tutoring based on student needs. Contact Dr. Xiuling Lu at

Center for Students with Disabilities

Students may want to explore the possibility of accessing accommodations with the Center for Students with Disabilities (CSD). To begin the process of requesting accommodations, visit and click on the MyAccess button to get registered. You will then be assigned to work with a Disability Services Provider who will engage with you to discuss your concerns and appropriate accommodations. Students requesting accommodations will need to provide supporting documentation. Please share the guidelines with your provider to obtain the appropriate documentation. Contact Timothy Smagacz, Program Assistant, at (860) 486-2020 or with questions regarding documentation.

Course Instructors

Students can speak with their course instructor to discuss options within the course, such as opportunities to make up work or extra time on an assignment, as well as the possibility of an Incomplete grade. The Graduate and Undergraduate Catalogs provide more information on Incomplete grades for students considering this option.

Dean of Students – Undergraduate Students

Staff in the Dean of Students Office are available to support undergraduate students with academic, personal, and other concerns that impact their student experience. Staff in this office provide support without judgement and can help students as they consider completing current courses, rescheduling final exams, or processing a withdrawal or cancellation for those considering taking a break. Questions for the Dean of Students Office staff can be emailed to or students can make an appointment with an Assistant Dean by visiting the Dean of Students Office website to access our online scheduler.

Graduate Student Affairs Office of The Graduate School

The Graduate Student Affairs Staff can answer questions about both academic and non-academic resources that are available to graduate students and advise on strategies for navigating challenges. If you are struggling to determine what academic resources are available, you can email and a staff member can help you. Graduate students who feel the need to step away from their academic studies temporarily or to withdraw from their program can find more information about taking a leave of absence or voluntary separation at The Graduate School website or by emailing

Student Health and Wellness – Physical and Mental Health

Student Behavioral Health Services (SBHS): The Student Behavioral Health Service (SBHS) provides evaluation and treatment to medical, dental and graduate students at UConn Health. To learn more about the resources available visit the SBHS website.

 Student Health and Wellness - Mental Health: SHAW provides mental health services to promote the emotional, relational, and academic potential of all undergraduate and graduate students. SHAW-Mental Health offers:

• Rapid access screening appointments

• Emergency/Crisis assessment

• Individual and group therapy

• Medication management

• Mindfulness/Meditation/Yoga workshops

• Referral and off-campus support services

Storrs students (undergrad or graduate) may access SHAW-MH by calling 860-486-4705 or schedule a screening appointment online.


Students in need of tutoring may find help within specific academic programs. Below is a list of tutoring resources students may want to access for potential help.

· Chemistry Tutoring · Economics Tutoring · Engineering Tutoring Center · Physics Learning Resource Center

The UConn Library (including the School of Pharmacy library) is available to help students with research assistance.

Please see the Student Educational Assistance entry listed under Academic Support Service on this web page.

University Advising

University Advising: Each school or college as well as each regional campus has an office or center with oversight over advising. These centers/offices serve as a resource to undergraduate students, faculty and staff on a wide range of advising matters, including:

  • Permission to register for excess credit or add or drop a course
  • Requesting a late withdrawal from a course
  • Academic probation, dismissal, and appeals of academic dismissal
  • Requesting a general education substitution

To learn more about Advising resources, visit the University Advising website.